BBBanner

BBBanner
"The thing is, if you just do stuff, and nothing happens, what's it all mean?"

Friday, September 13, 2013

The Elders Speaketh #3: "The World Is A Stage"

I have no spur to prick the sides of my intent, but only vaulting ambition, which o'erleaps itself, and falls on the other 
-Macbeth (Act I, Scene VII)

I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more is none 
-(I.vii)

Will all great Neptune's ocean wash this blood clean from my hand? No, this my hand will rather the multitudinous seas incarnadine, making the green one red -(II.ii)

Nothing in his life became him like the leaving it; he died as one that had been studied in his death to throw away the dearest thing he owed, as 't were a careless trifle -(I.iv)

I am so glad I don't have to take on the Herculean task of initially solidifying the over-arching Shakespearean threads that go through the show (there've been some rhetorical snippets; but not complete justice).

Check out this stellar article "How Shakespeare would End Breaking Bad"

I will definitely post a separate attempt at my own idiosyncratic spin on the Shakespeare stuff down the train line, but only after all the allusions (and bodies) are more fully accounted.

For now, here's a representation of a Shakespearean notion that I can say is at complete odds with my attempted "project"

Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. 
-(V.v)

The quote may relate to the grand cosmic indifference in which the dust of Walter White' meth empire is being blown to oblivion; but it absolutely is removed from the meaning of the show itself.

I mean, it's looking like it signifies everything...right?


No comments:

Post a Comment